Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chicago- Part 1

Christmastime in Chicago- Part 1
December 15th -19th 2010
Our family had an extra special, extended trip to Chicago this December. All along our plans had been to spend a few days in Chicago with family- specifically for our annual family Christmas dinner. When Brent found out in November that he would need to attend a business meeting in Chicago on December 16th and 17th we decided that it made the most sense to just extend our vacation to include those dates.
We drove up to Chicago (just ahead of an ice storm) on Wednesday the 15th. At one point along the drive Mary Grace yelled out "Yook Mommy, a cloud maker." She was SO excited! Brent and I thought the moment was so precious. I had to take a picture. I'm not sure I will ever look at these coal smoke stacks without wanting to call them "cloud makers" again! Mary Grace and I were total bums for the two days of Brent's meetings. We did a lot of swimming in the indoor pool, watched movies and played several board games. Brent got his fancy business dinners, but I am pretty sure my pizza dinner overlooking the Chicago skyline with the most beautiful 3 year old was pretty hard to top!
Friday after Brent was finished we headed straight for Michigan Avenue to do some Christmas shopping and enjoy a delicious dinner at The Grand Lux.

Mary Grace was able to easily entertain herself while we shopped-

The Magnificent Mile
Saturday morning we woke up and after a minor mishap at breakfast (Mary Grace sat down at the table and proceeded to drink the whole cup of creamer. Brent and I freaked out, and several people around us started laughing. Realizing that she was the center of attention and feeding off of our reaction, Mary Grace proceeded to freak out.) we headed to the Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier.
Making crafts in the art room-
At every Children's Museum we go to, this Grocery shopping area is always the biggest hit with Mary Grace. I'm not sure why it is so appealing, but she could spend all day in this section.



This was a very cool area at the Museum. Each family was given a short amount of time to build a skyscraper. Ours is the one with the green diamond on top. Clearly, we were going for originality and NOT functionality!
After the Children's Museum we headed to Water Tower Place for lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon shopping.
On Sunday we headed over to The Museum of Science and Industry.
We spent an entire day here and probably only covered a third of the exhibits. Mary Grace was very interested and really enjoyed it!
We watched the chickens hatch for a while (we probably could have done this all day! It is so fun to see them breaking out of the shells). This little guy loved Mary Grace. As she would move along the outside he would follow her around. So cute!

We also did the coal mine exhibit. I think Mary Grace was a little disappointed that the train portion didn't last longer, but she actually paid attention during the presentation.
After leaving the Museum of Science and Industry we headed to my Aunt and Uncle's house....Part 2 of our Chicago Christmas coming soon!

No comments: