Thursday, October 13, 2011

Field Trip

Last week Mary Grace got to go on her very first field trip (The first one got cancelled because of weather. It was very disappointing!)
Both Trinity Christian Academy Pre-School Classes
at the Arboretum
Our large group was broken up into 4 or 5 smaller groups. The Arboretum was doing a fall educational day for kids. The groups traveled around the garden and learned about all different kinds of plants, animals, bugs and trees. Many of the stops included something interactive for the kids to participate in while learning facts.





This man brought tons of animal pelts/furs. On many occasions he would ask the kids to guess what animal it came from. Some were fairly easy and other ones were easy to guess wrong...
The man held up this huge one and asked if anyone had a guess. Mary Grace raised her hand and said "its from a white tailed deer." All the adults' jaws dropped and the man said he'd never had anyone that young identify the pelt so accurately!
(Of course, at the time I played it cool like Mary Grace was just a total genius...but later I had to ask her how she knew. Apparently there was an episode of Diego where they had to save a white tailed deer. Considering she barely watches any TV, I think it is so ironic that she knew the answer based on a TV show. I might have to re-think our TV policy, she's clearly absorbing good information- ha!)
This lady is holding a small owl-
And a snake...that she let the kids touch. Yuck! And worst of all, she pointed out 6 or 7 times that all the animals she had with her were native to KY.
Overall the field trip was a huge success. It could not have been a more beautiful day and I think all the kids had fun!

No comments: